Congratulations on the start of your Invisalign / aligner treatment! You are well on your way to a beautiful new smile.
Invisalign / Aligner Things to Know
- Your teeth will likely feel sore the first night as they start to move.
- Usually, this soreness lasts 3-5 days. Stick to soft foods during this time.
- Take some over-the-counter pain relievers as needed.
- Keep a chewie in the aligner case and use it every time you put on the aligners. This helps the aligners fully engage the teeth to produce the most movements.
- Wear the aligners 20-22hrs/day. Every minute counts! Less than 20 hours/day will not produce the results you want.
- Avoid drinking sugary/acidic/dark drinks while wearing your aligners. Drinking water is OK with the aligners on.
- Carry lip balm with you as your lips will tend to get dry.
- After eating, it's ideal to brush before putting them back on. However, if you're on the go, quickly rinse with water and put the aligners back on. Then brush later when it's more convenient. It's better to put the aligners back on than to leave them off until you can find the time to brush.
- To clean your aligners, use only cold water to rinse them and brush them daily with a bit of toothpaste to keep them fresh and clean.
- Follow your aligner changing schedule as prescribed by Dr. Gary Lau.